View Single Post
Old 01-28-2003, 05:08 PM

Default Re: Solid State Logic (SSL)

That's a loaded question. And one, I honestly don't know how to answer. If you can get the mix to sound like you want it to by mixing in the computer, then there is no need. If you can't, then you need to explore why.

For me... it's a matter of being more familiar with mixing analog. I'm used to the sound, the feel, etc... of course, part of the experience that I'm having is due to the fact that I'm also not mixing from Analog tape, which is also the format I'm used to. Will I get a good mix from the computer. Of course! I'm just having to learn as I go and work harder to get there.

Are you used to mixing in the computer? If so, an anlog console may not be neccessary for you. Do you desire the analog sound? Then you may want a high quality summing or line mixer to mix through. Or you may just want a full console.

My suggestion would be to try it and see. Take some projects to a studio that has a nice desk and try it out.

And if you REALLY want a treat, do an all analog session. Find a great room with a Studer A827 (my favorite) or an A800 (my next favorite) with a Neve or SSL. Track to analog, mix on analog w/ REAL outboard gear, and mix to a great 1/2" (ATR102). Of course... be prepared to have analog envy for the rest of eternity!

One bit of advice when you do this... take a band that is pretty tight. You don't have the experience that I do or someone that has been doing this for a while to cut (with a razor blade) sections into place, to comp takes real time, do manual punches, etc... All analog means now editing in the computer!

Good luck!

-t