View Single Post
Old 08-31-2015, 11:24 PM

Default Re: Avid S3 suport plan clarification please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
JC, that was never the case before with any of the controllers. Whether new features or bug fixes you did not need to be on a support plan.

I'm using a pro control that was made in 2005 and I've been using pro controls for the last 12 years, never had to pay a penny beyond the initial purchase.

I'm not buying any of this. Here is the irony, I had planned to buy an S3 in December, but now, no way!

I'm better off with D-Command and HD 11.

JC I get it, you are stuck between a Rock and a hard place. You're damned if you do, damned if you don't. I don't hold you accountable for any of this, I actually feel sorry for you as you've got to work for such a pathetic company. Actually I feel more sorry for myself, being loyal to this pathetic company, what's really sad, I'm going to continue to be loyal to the software. At least where I stand right now. That being said, I have no intentions of joining any support plan, we're upgrading beyond my current license, a ProTools HD 10/11.
Barry, It would appear you are trying to pick fault with somthing that's simply not there or you are just picking bits that have been said and taking them out of context.

Avid have confirmed here and on the other thread for you that there is NO support plan needed to get Eucon updates. This means you don't need to pay a penny beyond your initial purchase.

It's not hard to understand that if a feature is added to the newest version of Pro Tools then it will be functional with the S3.

However if the newest feature is not implemented in Pro Tools 11 it's impossible for the S3 to control somthing that's not there in the code.

That in its self is regardless of any support plan.

This appears to be no different to any past controllers from Avid nor any other company can't offer updates for something that's not physically written into the software.
No one can expect a company to continue coding new features into older software products as this is not logical. Bug fixes yes - new features no.
Again this is not just avid this is the same for any DAW manufacturer.

You are actually lucky avid continue to support and a older release as Logic for example or even Sonar will have all development stop upon release of there latest version so this means no updates or bug fixes.

The only reason that you would need a support plan ( again this has been pointed out to you multiple times ) would be if you wish to stay on the current version & take advantage of future Pro Tools updates and S3 integration with said updates.
The other option to stay current is to not go on a support plan and purchase the software.
Repeating my self here again.... This doesn't mean you need a support plan to receive Eucon updates they however just might not be relative to your Pro Tools version. This is not different to any past controller.

I should probably point out at this time with you being a Pro Tools 10 user the S3 is not supported under Pro Tools 10

There is also no need for calling a company pathetic especially when they and others are trying to help you understand what's going on and why things are the way they are.

I'd highly recommend going to a Elite Avid reseller and trying the S3 and see the integration with Pro Tools 12 before being dismissive.

I'm not sure where you are but if you so happen to be in Scotland you are more than welcome to come to my studio for a demo.

Apologies I now see you are in Florida ! That's a long way to pop in for a cupa

Avid S3
Artist Transport
Pro Tools HD 12
UAD Apollo 8P
Audient ASP 880
Mac Pro TrashCan
3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5, 32GB ram
Adams A77x
UAD Quad Thunderbolt Satellite