View Single Post
Old 02-04-2021, 10:01 AM

Default Re: APFS or Extended Journaled for session drive?

Nobody here cares much about what Avid says about APFS. We have been using APFS for years without problems. It is one of the worlds most widely used, most robust, most performant file systems. It's like SSDs themselves, Avid never provided any useful guidance on their use.. ..and their unchanged recommendations to use separate session drives, is beyond stupid in the age of PCIe/NVMe drives and can result in worse performance if followed blindly especially on modern Macs. I don't know how many times I have asked Avid to fix that documentation, I have given up. And what about approved systems? There are few that its practically useless. Do you run on an approved system? Screw that I would follow advice on known good systems from folks on DUC,

Avid is a small, perpetually struggling company. If you want to get stuff done you need to work out what advice from Avid is important (some is very) and what advice to ignore (some is a waste of time). But come on, you just quoted a document that has such embarrassing out of date ******** statements like needing dedicated *hard disk* drives for audio sessions, and the document is self contradictory about SSD vs HDD needs, and you are seriously thinking that document might be more informed than people posting in this thread?