View Single Post
Old 04-28-2004, 06:40 AM

Default Re: Lip Sync and Plasma Monitors

From reading the article, it looks like the chip is only going to help with sound coming from the TV itself. Not much help if your sound is coming from from another source (such as your Pro Tools monitor outs for example).

Been experiencing this plasma delay first hand the last couple of weeks, since our trusty 52" TV's have been replaced with 46" plasma displays. After doing a few D5 laybacks that came back out of synch, engineering has programmed a 53ms delay into the room EQ. This seems to have tamed the problem, and seems transparent, although I object to the idea of putting a delay in the monitor path out of principal.

Now, a question I have, does the plasma display delay video on the computer input? When I scrub picture in Pro Tools (video out through Radeon 9800 to both an LCD monitor and the plasma computer input), it seems the LCD and plasma displays change on the frame at exactly the same time. It would seem if there was a delay in the plasma, I would perceive some delay in scrubbing between the two monitors. Maybe it's not perceptable at scrub speed. Anybody know if the computer input would exhibit the same video delay?

The big plasma display sure looks good though, expecially with D5 component source.

rcm