View Single Post
Old 09-29-2020, 03:42 AM

Default Re: Protools needs an open beta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
How does backing up to insanity get better bugless PT Releases? Dont get it! Avid need to realize something is substatially broken between programmers and beta testers which is very evident lately. We have a lot of bugs that makes PT feel like its dying a slow painful death. We basically cant use PT as we did 7-10 years ago and have gone to a second DAW 90% of the time for features worthy of the cost we pay and less breakdowns of essential functions and this is nothing mods or Avid should try explain away on a forum .Sorry but that makes zero sense and only riles up the userbase by defending a broken practice.
Exactly this!

To clarify, I am the one testing new releases on an isolated rig.
We have plenty of backups and are holding off updates. Hence we are currently running 2018.12 on our mix stages, 2019.6 on our edit suites and using 2019.12 to import AAF's from recent Mediacomposer exports, even though it is a risk to open 2019.12 sessions in earlier versions of Protools because of, you know, bugs.

I would love to try these advanced new features like folders , but Protools versions 2020.3, 2020.5 and now 2020.9 are all flagged red within a single day of testing. Looking back all the way to PT11 on average only 1 in 5 or 1 in 6 releases are flagged 'save to roll out for our workflow' here. Only very few had something to do with third party compatibility (like Decklink), by far most issues are simple Protools bugs found withing the first week of testing. There are plenty of bugs we can live with or work around, I don't expect it to be bug free at all, I just want the obvious ones to be fixed before release or very soon after, not wait 4 months to swap the old bugs for new ones and hope it's an improvement.

We are paying yearly support plans for every single rig just to report bugs and most of them aren't being fixed. Anyone remember one of the most popular requests on the Ideascale site? It was 'fix bugs before introducing new features'.

I know very well the chances for an open beta are pretty much non-existent, but one needs to speak up to be heard. The current system is not working for us. Maybe there are not enough beta testers. Maybe their priorities are not the same as ours. Or maybe outsourcing programming to Ukraine and other Eastern European countries wasn't the best idea after all. I do not know, but something has to change because I can't think of any other software I have used in my career (OS excluded) where only 1 in 5 releases was deemed 'safe for use in teams'.