View Single Post
Old 07-24-2008, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Whritenour View Post
yeah it definitely shouldn't sound distant, maybe you can post a clip for us to hear it?
Sure, no problem. Here is a track without any vocals at the moment, the guitar sound on it is fine (only the electric and acoustic guitars are mic'd so those are the tracks to listen for.) http://alesi.projecthugo.co.uk/spirit3/demo1.mp3

They sound fine but just distant. I'd certailny appriciate feedback on if that is the way I'm recording it, or just my ear, or my setup is wrong.

I'll get one of the vocal tracks tonight when I get home to demo that too as it's much more obvious in the vocal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Kolchak View Post
Using compression is more likely going to exacerbate the problem by bringing the loud vocals closer in terms of "volume" to the quiet reflections.

Work on treating the recording environment with packing blankets etc if that's all you can get your hands on i.e. the floor below the subject and wall directly behind are going to cause reflections that are going straight in to the most sensitive part of the mic, being in front of it.

Even though the opposite wall (and any low ceilings, especially with drums) are at the least sensitive part of the cardioid pick-up pattern, they can still produce a strong enough reflection to cause problems (if you're recording in an empty office building you're screwed) and compression is not going to fix that.

Hope I'm not stating the obvious here.

Cheers!
These are all very valid points, and I should have pointed out earlier, this is not a studio - this is a home recording setup in a spare room, so treatment can be quite limited. I've invested in some wood pannels and different acoustic foam and attempted to postition "temporary" foam around the room in key positions based on techniques I've read, and to counter the vocal problem I've mentioned I'm attempting to build a small fold away vocal booth, and the Reflexion filter mentioned above looks very promising.

Some excellent advice here, have a listen to the track I've posted and the vocal track I'll grab later and any insite into the situation would be appriciated, is that a limitation of my room? am I recording it wrong ? is my technique/approach wrong ? I am being to fussy and thats "fine"

thanks guys, some excellent comments