View Single Post
Old 06-27-2022, 03:40 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Ultimate- Run on Multiple Computers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1234 View Post
Thanks for the response. If you don't mind sharing, just curious why you aren't a fan of the Cloud ilok method. If you don't use this than you have to keep taking the ilock and inserting it into whatever computer you are using each time you switch. Not that this is a huge hassle or anything, but if you forget to take the ilock than you are screwed right? Why aren't you a fan of it?
Simple, iLok cloud needs a 100% perfect internet connection 100% of the time. This is not overly realistic. The slightest glitch from the ISP or the power line can cause the connection to go down, and even a few milliseconds can throw an iLok message forcing you to save/close the session. As bad as that is, what if it happens in the middle of the perfect recording pass? A physical iLok(for me) is 100% reliable, 100% of the time(unless you break it). I know some have managed to break their iLoks, but I never have in 18 years(but for portable use, I would always use a short USB extension or tethered hub to prevent breakage).

Re forgetting to take your iLok; its a valid point, but if you forget to end the cloud session at home, you will be equally screwed when you go to fire up the portable rig(or vice versa). Personally, I would get a license for Artist or Studio for the portable rig(do you really need Ultimate at all, never mind on both setups) This is strictly my opinion and you are free to do as you please. I just want you to think it thru with all the info to make the best choice for you

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave