View Single Post
Old 06-22-2020, 11:13 AM

Default Re: Requirements on Externall HDs for audio/samples/Libs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejs View Post
Hi, I recently bought a Mac mini to run Pro Tools subscription (specs in my user profile) I'm having a hard time deciding if I need to buy external drive to dedicate to audio. I've seen posts that suggest the system drive in the Mac mini can be used however, Avid knowledge base still says "One or more hard disk drives dedicated for audio record and playback"
I believe I want to purchase a fast SSD external Thunderbolt 3 to use as a dedicated audio drive such as G-Technology 1TB G-DRIVE mobile Pro Thunderbolt 3 External SSD. My old system used a dedicated 500gb Lacie Firewire.
AND a 2nd Larger capacity external drive to use for Time Machine backups of both the Audio drive and System drive of the Mac mini (2TB with 1.5TB free) like the G-Technology G-DRIVE USB 3.0 10TB External Hard Drive (0G05016). Does this seem like a sound way to spend the money to optimize my system for performance and backup? I just upgraded from Pro Tools 10 on a 2011 MacBook Pro so please forgive my ignorance of these newer technologies. Thank you.
I can't address your specific questions, but do have some advice to offer for all here that have questions; whatever drive you record to, HAVE A BACKUP PLAN!!! There are 2 types of computer users; those that HAVE had a crash, and those that WILL have a crash, be diligent about saving copies of all sessions to at least 1 external drive. If its client sessions, then save to 2 locations(like an external drive and the cloud, or 2 separate external drives(and suggest the client to provide their own backup drive, too). And don't assume that a new drive won't fail for a couple of years(I had 1 go bad in 2 weeks and another just deleted thousands of file for no reason I could figure). The old rule of separate drives for system, samples and sessions is somewhat moot with modern SSD's(but as I said above, never have all your eggs in 1 basket). Most of the reasoning for separate drives was the nature of spinning drives(spreading out the load would give the best performance)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave