View Single Post
Old 12-25-2022, 07:19 AM

Default Re: Carbon - How to renew? Perpetual or subscription?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
Well, only 85 posts into this thread and still a total mess that no one understands and no one can navigate.

Dominic
Humm ? I think that is not actually entirely accurate. I think some are confused and some are not..
WELL in all honestly I think I understand what is going on BUT maybe I am just delusional

I think there are two aspects to the confusion

One created by AVID ,, and one created by the customers themselves

The one created by AVID : is likely them changing a couple things in both options and nomenclature..

Starting with the initial offering with a Carbon purchase of a PT Regular" 1 year SUBSCRIPTION license ( that had the ability to convert to a PT regular SUBSCRIPTION license to a PERPETUAL license which they labeled "Perpetual Parachute"

Also at that initial offering (if one already had a Perpetual PT license Reg or HD,,,, (AND a current annual "Updates and Support plan" ) one could forgo the the Parachute license altogether and instead get a one year extension on their current "Update and Support plan" ............make sense so far ?

Also at some point Avid decided to change the name of a Pro Tools HD license to Pro Tools Ultimate

Then Avid decided to offer an additional PT Ultimate license to those purchasing a Carbon and retroactively to those who had previously purchased Carbon

Then they decided to change the name of PT Regular (actually just called Pro Tools) to Pro Tools Studio.

Then they dropped the PT Reg. "Parachute" altogether and NOW offer Carbon with a Perpetual PT Ultimate license with a 1 year "Upgrade and Support plan"

AND NOW it also seems that Avid does not have a working link for people who still have the original Parachute license, to Renew it .

AND for some unknown reason AVID is now calling those old Parachute license the "Carbon License" AS IF it were attached to a Carbon automatically WHICH IT IS NOT because if you never chose the Parachute license then you will not have the Carbon License option showing in your account as a Renewal option

OK now for how the customers are causing confusion (And I have stated this multiple times before in many such threads )

#1 for some reason people cannot seem to understand the difference between an annual SUBSCRIPTION license RENEWAL and an annual Updates and Support plan RENEWAL
# 2 People also (either through ignorance or laziness) misstate the name of what they have or what they are asking about --- And also they keep calling the " annual Updates/Support plan a SUBSCRIPTION.
#3 OR they do not use the actual full name of their product when asking for help

a perfect example is

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlange
I only have a $399 Ultimate renewal option and a $199 Studio renewal option. No Carbon Renewal option is available for my Carbon as of this writing
Now only because he at least gave the prices was I able to tell he was actually talking about the Ultimate 1 year Updates and Support plan "Renewal " and the PT Studio 1 year Updates and Support plan Renewal as opposed to SUBSCRIPTION renewals

And he also did not make it clear as to weather or not he ever had the Parachute license (which is now also being called the "Carbon license"

So I think the both AVID and the customers have conspired multilaterally to cause the confusion

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 12-25-2022 at 07:33 AM.