View Single Post
Old 03-01-2004, 12:05 PM

Default Re: creating \"real drum\" ambience w/drum softsamplers

The reason sampled drums usually sound programmed is because the exact same sample is used every time the instrument is struck. Better samplers and drum soft samples will vary the sample between as many as 6 or 8 different recordings of the same drum at the same volume. This tends to create more realism.

If you are going to try adn use something like a Ren Reverb and you looking to get your drum sound more real, make sure you don't use a very big reverb. A small room sound will work better. Then after you have that, then add a plate just to the Snare like you normally would.

Drumkits from Hell are coming out with there own AMAZING version of their sample library in a Plugin form. I checked it out at the NAMM show and it is by far the best "realistic" sounding drum sample module I have seen. I'm a drummer and I've never been that impressed with anything until I saw this...they recorded a jazz fusion style (Ala Dave Weckl) drum groove and drum solo on Vdrums and were using their plugin on it. Man It SOUNDED 100% REAL. I couldn't tell that it was samples! I don't think it's coming out until September...but man, It's worth the wait. It comes with 35GB of samples and the controls you have are AMAZING...go to their website and check it out.

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page