Thread: Masterlink ?
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2004, 05:07 PM

Default Re: Masterlink ?

Chad,

I'm still trying to find the time to fully realize the capabilities (getting my system free of bugs and errors has been a time consuming chore). When I had a session open last night that is at 24 bit, 44.1 I clicked on the output on the master fader and was shown sp/dif as an option, I didn't have time to actually do a transfer but I have a feeling that it would work. What I was saying in my previous post is that when i placed bounced mixes in dual mono tracks in protools and tried to assign the outputs from there (these mixes were at 88.2, 24 bit) I was only given one option which was sp/dif on the optical ports (the masterlink doesn't have optical in) When I dithered these mixes down to 44.1, 16 bit I was given all digital outs as options and mad the transfer with no problem. As far as I can tell from the literature both machines support professional sp/dif at higher sampling rates so I have a feeling that any transfer should be possible, perhaps from a master fader or by mirroring the outputs. Hopefully soon I will be able to find this out for sure but tonight and tomorrow I'm tracking a band to analog so it may be a couple of days...

The masterlink that I have has a bug that is common. Sometimes when finalizing a disc the software doesn't recognize that the task is complete and I have to eject the disc myself. I'll do this if the display stays in the finalizing disc phase for more than a few minutes. The disc is done but the machine will have you think that you're aborting creation. Simply switch the machine to cd mode and reinsert the disc if this happens to check it. It's annoying but it happens every now and then. Other than that there's not much to tell. Set the input to digital and I believe it will recognize the rate and bit depth. It pretty much operates like any recorder from that point... If you run into specific issues leave a post and I'll try to help if I can. I've got a manual if needed...

Kyle,

Good point. I may sell mine at some point but for now my only disc creation software is toast so the masterlink offers a lot more editing and dsp options. It's a pretty handy, if cumbersome machine. Besides I'm used to it and have lots of mixes from analog archived that my clients may need access to at some point. I'll most likely phase it out over time...

Take care,
+=G=+
Windows 10 Pro
HD Native PCIe
Lynx Aurora with LT-HD
Apogee
Mytek