View Single Post
Old 06-24-2021, 12:27 PM

Default Re: Anyone running 2021 on old cheesegraters?

Thanks again for this great info. Got my OWC Accelsior 1M2 1TB PCIe drive today, so that's the next project...

Meanwhile, since this is the PT 2021 cheesegrater thread -- for at least 8 years I've been happily running my 2009 4,1 cheesegrater with Pro Tools 10 HD2 Accel, with the computer sitting at my feet right under my console. I've been able to track quiet acoustic guitars sitting right here because it's so quiet. I have another machine almost identical (2 cores instead of 1) that I flashed to 5,1 that I am using for my HDX install. Since I switched over to the new machine about a week ago - PT running off Mojave 1TB SATA SSD - and started working on it, I am noticing that it is a helluva lot noisier than it's HD Accel 4,1 twin. It ramps up and down, but it gets pretty darn noisy, with a high pitched whine sometimes. It's got the HDX card (fan), RX 560 GPU (one fan), UAD Octo, 2 SSD in SATA slots, and 1 4TB SATA drive. Anyone have any thoughts and tips about cheesegrater noise with this config?? Thanks alot!