View Single Post
Old 06-17-2021, 04:24 PM

Default Re: Anyone running 2021 on old cheesegraters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by innerbooty View Post
Just doing a bit of reading about OpenCore, which I'd never heard of. What does it get me, from a Pro Tools point of view?
Well with a metal card you're able to take advantage of using your old 32bit plugins in older versions of MacOS, which I process tracks through a few cherished plugins on Mt.Lion and, within the same computer on a different partition boot back into Mojave for Pt2020.

Seems I might be able to get a boot screen, even without a flashed GPU, am I getting that right?

Yes you get the bootpicker, flashed or not flashed

Does it mean I can take my old PT 10 HD internal drive from my 2009 4,1 Mac Pro and pop into the 2009 5,1 I've flashed for HDX?
Certainly if you install Open Core on the EFIboot drive on the PTHD10

One other weird thing I've noticed -- in Pro Tools 20201.3.1 and Mojave, when I browse to open session files or import audio, I can't double-click in the file browser to open folders. I have to click the arrow to the left to open the folder, and then cascade the open folders, I can't go into them. Not a show stopper, but kind of annoying. Is this just a Pro Tools thing?
I haven't ran into that situation yet, someone here can probably shed light on that (JANNE?)

If you do video as well the video acceleration is amazing on Open Core.
Anyway, for those who have RX 460 or newer AMD GPU, this package should gives you:
  1. Boot screen (via GOP for unflashed card, including some Nvidia card)
  2. Firmware protection (to run Windows in EFI mode without risking the cMP bootROM)
  3. HWAccel (H264 / HEVC hardware decode + encode in Mojave and newer macOS up to Big Sur 11.2.3)
  4. ability to watch DRM streaming content (Mojave and newer macOS up to Big Sur 11.2.3)
  5. Boot picker (only support EFI systems, tested with Apple wired keyboard, Magic Mouse, and Magic Keyboard, 10s timeout. If you can't see this. Just don't touch the keyboard, and your cMP should continue to boot to desktop)
  6. NVMe and SATA drives on PCIe card show up as internal
  7. Support for Apple USB SuperDrive
  8. TRIM (regardless trimforce status)
  9. Ability to run non-GUI 32bit software in Catalina
  10. Ability to reset NVRAM in boot picker (disabled at this moment to align with the native Apple boot manager)
  11. Ability to run any natively supported ancient OSX with modern graphic card e.g. Radeon VII in 10.6.8 (only can display, no acceleration) [Update 5th May 2020: Sierra and High Sierra may not fully supported yet. Thanks for pierrox's report]
  12. Ability to boot Catalina / Big Sur Recovery Partition
  13. Sleep should work (tested on my cMP, but I can't guarantee it also work with your hardware)
  14. Possible to run 8x32GB RAM in macOS (user need to mod the config.plist manually. Replace the false below CustomMemory to true)