View Single Post
Old 12-11-2018, 07:11 PM

Default Eleven Rack Re-Amp Problem & Solution

For anyone having trouble re-amping with Eleven Rack and Pro Tools, here is an unusual problem and solution that I have not seen documented anywhere else.

I just took advantage of the incredible deal that is going on offering the Eleven Rack (brand new, but without Pro Tools software) for $199.

While not a fully endorsed configuration by Avid, here is what I am running on this particular boot partition of my Pro Tools rig:
macOS 10.12.6
Pro Tools 12.5.2 (HD License without HD hardware).
Eleven Rack as audio interface. (Eleven Rack Firmware Version 2.0.1/Build 0.1.5.7)
Eleven Rack driver v1.2.13

I followed the correct protocol for re-amping via Eleven Rack.
1. Default the I/O
2. Assign the DI guitar track output to the "Re-Amp" path in Mix Window Outputs.
3. Assign the Eleven Rack Rig Input to "Re-Amp" in the Eleven Rack Editor.
4. Create an audio track, and set the input to Eleven Rig. Switch to Input mode.
(see attached screenshot "1. Mix Window Assignment.jpg")

This sounded a little doubly/phasy to me, and sure enough, when I muted the audio track (with the processed Eleven effects) I was still hearing the DI signal which seemed to be getting routed directly to the main monitor output. No matter what I did in the I/O setup changed anything, nor did following any other online tutorials. After many hours of tearing my hair out, I decided to try installing some earlier drivers for the Eleven Rack.

On this page Avid have given us links to the various builds and changes for Eleven Rack drivers:
https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...n-Rack-Drivers

I had originally installed the latest drivers from March 14 2018 (v1.2.13), so I downloaded the previous build from October 26 2016 (v1.2.12). I did an uninstall and reboot of the existing v1.2.13 drivers. I then installed the older v1.2.12 drivers and rebooted.

I launched Pro Tools, defaulted the I/O, and voila ! There was a new column in the I/O Setup window called "Rig" that was not present in the newer v1.2.13 driver. (see attached screenshots)

Everything now worked exactly as expected. The assigned DI track did NOT go to the monitor output, but simply to the Eleven Rack, and returned perfectly "Eleven'd" to my audio track.

To double check I wasn't losing my mind. I did the converse. I uninstalled the v1.2.12 driver and went back to the newer v1.2.13 driver. Sure enough, same problem as before - the DI also went to the main monitor outputs when assigned to "Re-Amp". The I/O Setup window was now missing the "Rig" column, and was replaced by a simple "Analog 3&4" column. (see attached screenshots)

I went thru the same process again, and re-installed the older driver. Voila. Problem fixed once again.

Anyone who has this same configuration, macOS 10.12.6 with Pro Tools 12.5.2 should give this a try. Other than this specific problem, this combination of macOS & Pro Tools with Eleven Rack is working absolutely perfectly, even though it is not endorsed/supported by Avid. Stable and efficient. I have even got the buffer set to 32 samples, and it is showing less than 5% CPU activity. I can even play live thru the DI track and monitor the Eleven sounds live.

Good luck. I hope this write-up helps someone.

P.S. This one goes to Eleven ;-)

Attached jpegs:
1. Mix Window Assignment.jpg
2. macOS10.12.6 with ElevenRack Drivers 1.2.13 Input.jpg
3. macOS10.12.6 with ElevenRack Drivers 1.2.12 Input.jpg
4. macOS10.12.6 with ElevenRack Drivers 1.2.13 Output.jpg
5. macOS10.12.6 with ElevenRack Drivers 1.2.12 Output.jpg

Last edited by Tweakhead; 12-11-2018 at 09:54 PM.