View Single Post
Old 05-11-2004, 07:36 AM

Default Re: MAC OS X ADMIN PASSWORD RESET W/ANY OS X CD??

Quote:
Hi, I'm contemplating on buying a Powerbook G4 and would just like to clarify one thing.

Is it true if I set an Administrative password and my Powerbook gets stolen anybody with an OS X CD can reset the password??

I read you can do this by inserting an OS X install cd into the drive>>rebooting>>pressing C when you hear the startup tone>>choose installer>>reset password.

Can somebody verify this?
Yes....I can. It is true....however, you can set a BootROM password that without it, the machine becomes a doorstop....literally.
There are no hokey jumpers to remove and reset, the PRAM ZAP will not reset it, the CUDA button will not reset it, you can't boot from a CD without the PW, you can't plug a FireWire HD in to boot from either...the system would need to be sent back to Apple or an Apple Authorized Repair Center to get it to boot again.....if you forget the PW.

There are instructions on how to set this BootROM PW on the Apple Support pages...BEWARE!!! Once set, don't forget the PW....
You can reset the system so that you don't need the PW but you have to know the PW to do this....