Thread: Re- amping
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2003, 01:00 PM

Default Re: Re- amping

Quote:
Originally posted by PTUser NYC:
D.I.'s usually have a thru jack, which is basically a copy of the guitar signal that went into it. You plug the guitar into the D.I., and the thru output into whatever the guitar was going to be plugged into (amp, pedalboard etc). The D.I. also has a mic level output, which you can use to drive a microphone preamp. Obviously this leg makes a "guitar only" track for later Re-Amping.

[Guitar]----->[D.I.]------>[Amp]
.......................I
.......................V
..............[Mic Preamp]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Got it!

Since my API's have a great DI input, I could probably use a splitter box as well. (I think Palmer makes one) Guitar/Bass in > two hi-z outputs. Is there any difference between this and using a regular DI box into the mic amp input?

I think Re-amping is long overdue for me. I'm sooooo anal about getting my tones just right, and *NOT* using plugins, that I'll record my guitar and bass tracks over and over again, turning the amp the knobs until I get it right. The up side is sometimes the performance get's better with each take, the downside is that one perfect take - with bad tone.

I like the idea of focusing on the tone without thinking about performance...and of course performing without worrying about tone.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to 'splain things so well.

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]