View Single Post
Old 04-21-2021, 09:25 AM

Default Weird audio import thing: Mono/Stereo

I must have been really tired last night....

I printed my external compressor to a vocal take in Studio One (Stem export > MONO). I opened up Pro Tools and proceeded to drag the printed vocal file into Pro Tools. It wouldn't do it. It showed up as a Stereo File.

I thought to myself: " Wha....??? It's no stereo file. It's MONO!"
So I played along with Pro Tools and dragged it into a stereo track so I can use one side as the mono.
I didn't like the idea of that so I went back into Studio One to make sure I exported the stem as Mono - as opposed to bouncing it down to a stereo file.
So I deleted the first file and exported it again as a stem. A mono stem. Not a mix. Not a bounce.

I go back into Pro Tools and the same thing happens. Pro Tools thinks it's a stereo file, even though the file shows as 1 Channel in it's file properties (macOS > Get Info).
It was late so I played along with Pro Tools again and used one side as mono.
TODAY!
I open up Pro Tools and it's trying to relink. It won't relink. I'm totally confused. I said to myself "Screw it, I'll just clear the clip from the session and drag it back in." This time it drags in as a Mono file! that's why Pro Tools couldn't relink!

Huh??!?!?!? Why did it drag in as a stereo file last night?

This isn't a huge deal but very confusing! Anyone else running into anything weird? I feel like my setup has been acting up lately... l