View Single Post
Old 11-18-2007, 11:53 AM

Default Re: Roland V-Drums & ProTools

Here is what worked for me. With a TD8, I would record the midi while using the headphone out for monitoring. Once the song is recorded on a midi track(and edited as needed), I let the midi "play" the module and record audio tracks for all the drums in 2 passes. First pass I would assign kick to aux 1 out, snare to aux 2 out and toms to the stereo outs(turn all the cymbals and hat down). Next pass I would assign the hat to aux 1, ride to aux 2 and crashes to stereo outs(panned hard L/R) and turn the snare, kick and toms off. It takes some time but you end up with 8 audio tracks of drums which can be sweetened with plugins. The final trick was to aux send all the individual drum tracks to a stereo aux and place a room verb plugin, which would meld the whole thing into a nice package(simulating a kit played in a room). I switched to a TD10 module as the 8 outs made the whole process faster using the same basic strategy. At first I was regretting the switch as the stock TD10 did not sound as good as the TD8, but after adding the expansion card, it was a great step up. Now I have a new method that nets much better drum tracks. I play the Roland kit to an instrument track and run ezdrummer and play the samples which blow away the Roland sounds. Plus, ezdrummer allows you to setup a bunch of aux tracks and assign the sounds to seperate tracks for plugin processing without any audio tracks(remember that 32 track limit? now my drums don't eat any of it). The only thing I haven't figured out is how to choke a cymbal on ezdrummer but I can always record a Roland cymbal crash/choke and paste it wherever I need it.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave