View Single Post
Old 06-02-2003, 02:54 PM

Default Re: Employment for Pro Tool experts versus audio engineers

Quote:
Originally posted by kakaroto:
Man this is EXACTILY what is wrong with younger engineers.

**** being a Pro Smak expert. ITS JUST A TOOL! How many guys in the field that are now considered 'Mix Guru's" went to audio school?

Few.

How many give 2 ***** about a PT cert?

NONE.

How many just started in a major studio as a ****ing janitor and worked up to thier carrer.

Many.

Just because you can use this TOOL doesent make an engineer of you. It's ****ing Absurd, like saying well I learned how to calibrate the Studer, move over Andy Wallace I'm mixing the next one!

I've met many of you so called Pro Tools Gurus and most of you piss me off.

Learn to be and engineer and use your tools. PT can be a powerfull tool, as long as you don't have a tool running the tool.

ACT.. please do not misunderstand me. SAE might be a great place for you to go but a PT cert is not even usefull as Toilet Paper.

kakaroto
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I agree, PT Cert doesn't mean squat! I eat 'em for breakfast. If you can't align a analog deck, hang a mic and get signal, you're pretty much useless. ALL of the "Pro Tools Experts" that I know are also extremely talented engineers/technicians. They're just as comfortable with a Neve 8078 and a Studer A800 as they are with a 64 ch. HD system w/a bunch of plugs and a Pro Control.

I started in live sound and in small-to-mid level studios, and THEN went to school. What I found was that I already knew the basics of recording and audio engineering, I just needed some more practice, but school wasn't the place for that, I needed to immerse myself in all forms of audio engineering if I was going to learn this trade the right way.

Over 12 years deep and still learning... but aren't we all! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Just like tape, Pro Tools will go away (hopefully not for a long time!) and you'll just have to learn something else, but if you don't know the basics, you'll never get far.

Good Luck!