View Single Post
Old 08-04-2012, 02:10 PM

Default Re: O/T iPad 2 or 3 Any thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by necjamc View Post
A little off topic, but the tech minds at the DUC usually have plenty of opinions and a ton of knowledge to give me a good idea what's best for me. I've never owned an iPad, just the iPhone/iPod. Besides reading books, magazines, facebook, browse the web etc. Would I gain anything in the iPad 3 for music? Or in general if someone has one and previously had the 2, is it enough of a leap to spend the extra 100 bucks. Just trying to get some opinions off the beaten path, maybe a little real world insight.
Thanks Neil
I'm a big advocate of the iPad in the studio. There are so many cool apps for music production. Control surfaces, instruments, synths, even full DAWs with some fairly impressive capabilities.

But the biggest thing the iPad still has going for it is it's capability as simply a touch screen monitor. With Air Display, or various other screen sharing/VNC apps, it's really the best way to get a touch screen in the studio. Capacitative monitors are still pretty expensive, and certainly aren't nearly as versatile as an iPad. So imagine putting a nice sized touch screen hovering over your setup, where you can keep plugins or various other windows you'd rather have at your fingertips than hiding somewhere behind the mix and edit windows.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515