View Single Post
Old 03-08-2022, 11:54 AM

Default Re: New "Mac Studio" finally enters the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakhead View Post
the major issue I see is the TB4 cable length spec of 2m max.
how are people supposed to hook up displays, CPU, and audio interface in anything other than a desktop situation ?
there doesn't even seem to be a 3rd-party solution.
are people with this need of racked audio interface/computer with a remote display/keyboard simply just gonna ignore the TB4 displays and go with HDMI instead ?
it seems to defeat the whole point of getting an integrated Apple CPU/Display system.
I guess I didn't catch that. Are you saying that TB4 lengths beyond 2 meters won't work in any capacity? Or that they simply won't work at their maximum specs? I have a 4K monitor, currently using a mini displayport, which in no way requires the maximum bandwidth from its connection, and I never thought I'd be limited to 2 meters.

As far as the location where this Mac is intended to be placed, it seems to be akin to a MacMini in that it's designed to be on or near the monitor -- *not* being called a Pro model -- so perhaps they feel that 2 meters is enough for this application. Though, again, I don't know the details of the 2 meter TB4 limitation(s).