View Single Post
Old 02-01-2006, 01:30 PM

Default Re: Recording Acoustic Drums. What is an ideal setup?

Quote:

Try this out: On your overhead stereo aux, place a (stereo) reverb first in the plug-in chain (~35% wet, room setting). This is probably the only time I'd ever use a reverb on anything other than 100% wet, but it worked wonders for me recently. Think about it: by placing the reverb first, you're giving the impression of a larger, better room to any subsequent EQs, comps, etc. That's what the big boys do with their gear, except they start out with a larger, better room!

Please, I'm NOT implying that D-verb's Room Setting would ever compare to tracking at Ocean Way, just suggesting a way to fake it well. If anyone else has a tip like this, please share!

A nice reverb tip,thanks Naagzh.

Back to recording: JW, also experiment with mic placement. Small moves can make huge changes.

And now back to mixing tips... ... this thread will definitely go somewhere.

Make a duplicate of that stereo OH audio track. Compress it and inset a gate/expander. Feed the gate´s "sidechain in" from BD and/or SN tracks via a buss, so that the gate only opens fully when BD or SN is being hit. Play around with the expander settings to make the new room track "pump" a little with the rest of the kit.

Room tracks treated like this can replace digital reverbs quite nice sometimes. You just drive your room tracks with the drums, using expanders and compressors to control them. This road has no end,I feel.

Also:Try moving those processed, duplicated room / OH tracks back and forth in time. Very efficient.

And the last: if your room is not good ( define good? ),leave a door open and mike the next room.

- i7 520 @ 3.6 GHz / P6T / XP32 / PTLE 8.01 . PT9 on Snow .
- PTLE8 on a macbook.

- And a bunch of miscellaneous obsolete hardware from the past. Like Mix ++++ 64 i/o with Control/24

I`m In The Band: www.ozofficial.com
My guitars are in tune : http://www.truetemperament.com/site/index.php