View Single Post
Old 08-22-2004, 04:28 PM

Default Re: $15,000 to spend, big life decision...please help!

Hi!
For monitors: COnsider Blue Sky System One. I would grab the 2.1, and add the BMC (they sell it seperately) to control the level (volume). No talkback on it tho...Could always add a COmmand8 to the package...

If you can afford it, grab two U87's (over the AKG's), they make great OH's as well, and can be a good "goto" mic for tons of things. Be aware, tho- there are many other great choices, and you might be able to "round out" that mic cabinet a little better if the cash you budget for mics is spent well. Couple nice ribbon mics for instance, great for so much, very 'true" sound. Kick, room, OH, guitars, bass, even vox. Just beware of "on axis" micing, as the SPL plus air movement can be a killer for them.

Oh yeah- U87 (or any mic) used- be VERY, VERY careful.

I would also take this into consideration: Grabbing at least 2 channels of ADC would be a serious benefit IMO. Adding 2 channels of superior DAC would be a great idea as well. I would consider Mytek, Benchmark, and Lavry in that budget. If you grab Lavry Blue, you can expand later with more channels as you get the $$$- it's modular. Personally, I would say go with Lavry Blue, 2 chan ADC, and a Benchmark 2 channel DAC. Sub a Mytek 2 channel ADC for taste if desired.

Amazing how fast $15k goes eh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.