View Single Post
Old 10-12-2001, 01:26 AM

Default Re: Can d24 system only run 24 tracks?

Yep you can run the D24 with a mix farm, (if that was what the question was). If you use the digi approved order (mixfarm first then D24) you will have the mix engine running on the first dsp of the mix farm, the mixer will them run on the D24, until it fills that up and takes another DSP on the farm.

Using it the other way round (which works fine for me) the D24 card runs the engine and the stereo mixer takes a dsp from the farm - this works for me and seems a lot more sensible as the mixer can be pretty powerful on one mix dsp.

The difference between the D24 and MixCore is simply one of age and power, with the D24 on it's own (as previously stated) you can run nothing - there's no DSP for the mixer, and with one DSP farm there's limited power. With a mix core (single card) you can run 64 track sessions, although this will take two dsp chips (leaving 4 for effects/mixer) so this will still be limited, a better solution is to restrict yourself to 32 track sessions which will free up an extra DSP.

Also once you have a mix card (of any type) you can run some of the newer plugins (like Virus, Reverb One etc) and TDM direct connect.

By adding the mix farm to the two dsp farms I had (and placing it before any DSP farms) I have got a much more powerful system, it's really now that I've begun to see the mixer in the box power - although like anything you'll always use up the DSP you have, the other advantage is that you can run 64 track sessions.

Just a D24 card and DSP farm limits you to 32 tracks and not many plugins at all.

Hope this helps

Pete