View Single Post
Old 08-13-2001, 11:27 PM

Default Re: Absolute BEST CPU set-up for 001

I have a G4 450 (Dual 450, but only 1 is used for PT). It has 256MB of RAM and I used another Quantum fireball (20GB, 5400) in it as the audio disk.

I placed PT on the main disk, and record all my audio on the second disk.

When I run PT, I run no other software along with it.

I haven't tweeked any settings whatsoever with the machine, but I can record all 8 tracks of audio into a session for about 1 - 2 hours with no problems.

I can also place about 4 compressors, 4 EQ's as inserts and 2 reverbs, 2 slap delays as BUS effects on all 8 tracks without any problems.

Other projects I have worked on had multiple tracks of MIDI (up to about 12), and about 5 - 6 tracks of audio with the same type of effects as above all playing back with no problems.

I have never had a glitch or a crash with PT, and have never had any CPU load problems.

I suspect that the following things are most important with any audio or MID software on a macintosh:

- Always let OMS turn your Appletalk off! Don't run networking with any sort of audio software.
- Don't use Virtual Memory.
- Don't run ANYTHING along with PT. Because the Macintosh OS 9 uses co-op multitasking through a single toolbox routine, it's possible for applications to significantly hog the CPU when they run.
- Give PT all your RAM.
- Don't run any extensions other than the ones that you need for PT.

I also only use the original PT plugins. I presume from reading this forum that the WAVES plugin's and others have significant Processor overhead, so my benchmarks won't apply.

Hope this helps you.