View Single Post
Old 08-13-2001, 09:11 AM

Default Re: Absolute BEST CPU set-up for 001

Chris,

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated!

I just want to add... I plan to use the "virtual track" function of the 001 a lot. Well, I don't know if you call it "virtual track function", but... like on the Digi-001 video, they show the guys recording a vocalist with loop record, and the vocalist lays down three passes of a vocal ontop of ONE track.... and then somehow within this one track they took the three passes and compiled them together to make one final composite track. I would like to be able to record in this way and store these "hidden" extra passes under each and every track of a 24 track recording. In otherwords, I plan to do a lot of this type of thing. I am guessing that this would require a alot of processing power and/or drive space etc. (Again, I apologize, i'm in the dark when it comes to computer issues)

In your opinion, given what i'd like to do here, what aspect of the computer do you think should be most heavily optimized? RAM, or...??? I'd gladly add a truckload of RAM if that will help me out here.

Regarding the Mac vs. PC thing... I am typing right now on a 1.7 gig PC... I think PCs are fine. but i'd like to stick with a Mac for the 001 because all the musicians I work with all have Macs and I want to remain 100% compatible at all times. As well, as you mentioned, the Mac is probably more reliable overall for this sort of thing, and that is a big issue with me. Since I am a moron when it comes to computers, nothing frustrates me more than to have a computer related problem, especially when trying to work on audio. A computer glitch can wipe out an entire work day for me. I'd be the first guy to throw a computer right out the window due to frustration, so it is worth any dollar amount to me to have a system that is extremely reliable and that can handle anything you throw at it.

THANKS! I much appreciate the info!