View Single Post
Old 06-06-2020, 12:51 AM

Default Commit MIDI Track (not instrument track)

*SOLVED* AFTER SOME ADDITIONAL RESEARCH I WAS ABLE TO ACHIEVE THE DESIRED RESULT BY:
1. CREATING AS NEW AUDIO TRACK
2. SETTING THE INPUT ON THIS NEW TRACK TO MY AUDIO INTERFACE
3. SOLOING THE MIDI TRACK I WANTED TO COMMIT
4. ARMING THE NEW AUDIO TRACK ONLY
5. UPON PLAYING, THE MIDI NOTES WERE RECORDED TO THE AUDIO TRACK
__________________________________________________ _____________

I have an issue with committing/bouncing a MIDI track (not an instrument track) to Pro Tools. I can record and hear MIDI notes on this track, both during recording and playback, but the commit button is greyed out, so I cant convert it to an audio track. Furthermore, when i bounce the session, the MIDI tracks in question are not present in the bounced audio.

I am using the following equipment:
- PT 12.8.1 (on windows 10)
- Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio interface
- Access Virus C Synth
- Korg microkey midi keyboard 25

My cabling is as follows:
1. Audio interface connected via USB to PC
2. Korg keyboard connected via USB to PC
3. Virus C MIDI OUT connected to the MIDI IN of the Audio Interface
4. Audio interface MIDI OUT connected to MIDI IN of the Virus C

Additional notes:
- I am using a MIDI track instead of an instrument track because i couldn't get the instrument track working with the below setup, so I did some internet research and was advised that I should be using a MIDI track, as instrument tracks are for virtual instruments only.
- I understand that I can play in and record the virus synth directly to an audio track (i.e. not use midi), but i want to be able to use midi sometimes, as it allows for greater timing/quantize control.
- I also have an Roland A-70 expandable controller that I can utilise if this helps. Unlike the Korg microkey, it uses traditional 5 pin midi plugs that can connect directly to the Virus C midi inputs/outputs.

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to using hardware synths with PT, so if there's a solution, detailed steps would be appreciated!

Last edited by Tsen Ru; 06-06-2020 at 01:21 AM. Reason: SOLVED