View Single Post
Old 12-03-2022, 07:35 PM

Default Re: How to tell if an app/plugin is Apple silicon, Intel or a Universal Binary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Another important thing here is, plugin vendors need to make the INSTALLERS universal binary as well. Even if plugin itselfs happily runs native, it upsets someone wanting to stay out of Rosetta, if the installer insists it needs to be installed.
I'm not sure why they would have to. I doubt most users ever look or care wether miscellaneous programs run under Rosetta. Developers might move any installer components or utilities shipped with the installer to universal binaries but should not have to now... the universal binary plugin files just need to end up in the plugin folder. Other scripts that run just need to do the same as now. All the magic should be handled by Pro Tools opening the .aaxplugin bundle and selecting the correct architecture target. The really beautiful thing about Mac bundle packaging.

Everything needs to be a universal binary or maybe Apple silicon only binary for those plugin vendors when Apple eventually removes Rosetta support in a future macOS version.

I suspect many software vendors (esp. driver vendors) are kinda jaded with Apple other frequent other changes to stuff, e.g. immutable file volumes, new security and privacy changes, etc. some of which can force them to make frequent revisions.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-03-2022 at 09:39 PM.