View Single Post
Old 01-26-2023, 03:41 AM

Default Re: Protools multichannel now requires HDX?

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
You can use a MTRX Studio without DigiLink and connect it via Dante. However, it would be best using a hardware Dante interface, like a RedNet PCIe card (or whatever the replacement for that currently is) rather than DVS, as latency with DVS is far from optimal and DVS stability on Apple Silicon hasn't wowed me, so far.
Although it's viable, the MTRX would then act only as a switch box (I know, hence 'matrix'). Protools' playback engine and IO options would be whatever interface you connect to it. The Dante only cards or TB boxes seem viable, but spend any more than that and one might as well get a third party interface offering all-in-one. Avid makes it hard to keep things all-Avid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewk View Post
I took the liberty of removing the small panel on the back of my unit only to find a slot ready for Thunderbolt. See here. I know there are no guarantees but why even go the route of building this into the MTRX Studio if not for expansion in the future?
This is interesting. But I remember there was a working thunderbolt Avid Omni unit at some venue (namm/aes), but it never went into production. Although it would have been nice, it would have been similar to the TB HD native box combined with the omni which was being sold. Seems like they went the same route with the MTRX Studio, but now with the hd native removed it's a different situation.

Quote:
The writing is on the wall that HDX will eventually find itself on that EOL list but not until Avid is ready with the "new new". They have to/need to adapt to stay in the game but it will happen on their term$. Which means we're in the dark...until we're not.
Exactly this. Sometimes I am genuinely surprised about new products. I just have no clue _at all_ in which direction they want to go. It's like Apple sometimes, you think they only care about the money making iphones and laptops and suddenly they hit us with the mac studio, restoring some faith.
I have no need anymore for a next gen HDX-like system (unless it's something revolutionary), but now they are pushing me away from their interfaces as well, which have always been top notch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
On the Pro Tools facebook group I asked an Avid representative what this means for sync peripherals moving forward. All I got was a somewhat backhanded reply of "HDX + Sync X" followed by something along the lines of "well, if you don't need it, you don't need it" when I queried the sudden increase to $9000 worth of hardware to achieve something simple like edge frame sync.
That's just awful

Also, before Covid all our studio's were fully booked. Now half of them have been empty for years. Most of our (freelance) crew is working from home these days, parttime or even fulltime. None of them is buying Avid interfaces or hardware other than the s1. This can't be good in the long term.

I really want to drink the kool-aid but it's hard