View Single Post
Old 01-25-2023, 03:24 PM

Default Re: Protools multichannel now requires HDX?

On the Pro Tools facebook group I asked an Avid representative what this means for sync peripherals moving forward. All I got was a somewhat backhanded reply of "HDX + Sync X" followed by something along the lines of "well, if you don't need it, you don't need it" when I queried the sudden increase to $9000 worth of hardware to achieve something simple like edge frame sync.

I would love to think that Avid have a new solution to this on the horizon, but it also wouldn't surprise me if this was just the death rattle of Avid audio interfaces in general. We are already seeing a spate of new USB/TB multichannel interfaces that really lift the bar in feature sets and performance. The AX-64 is pretty darn impressive compared to the MTRX. A lot of people are using Metric Halo stuff which supports surround sound, various expansion card options, room EQ, monitor control, Eucon, etc.

Other stuff like the Focusrite Red Pre/Line series has been around for 7 years now, and is next to impossible to find in 2023. If Avid move to TB with the MTRX Studio, then I suspect most of those older digilink-based interface designs floating around will disappear and be replaced with newer and more powerful stuff...

Then suddenly, there won't really be much that is unique to the MTRX Studio at all, other than the Avid logo.

I just really hope they don't decide to do more with AVB. What a silly choice.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.