View Single Post
Old 01-04-2012, 09:49 AM

Default Re: Purchased used Mbox 2 Pro w/iLok, iLok says device is not mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjenkins View Post
So, effectively, I paid him for the plug-ins once, and as a naive new user received the hardware... but he was still able to transfer all of the digital/virtual license codes to somebody else since owning the hardware isn't sufficient (though I had an email on-hand from him saying "yep, they're all being transferred to you"). Indeed a case of Caveat Emptor... live and learn.
If he sent you an iLok that had licenses on it, he could not transfer those licenses to someone else. He may have transfered the account to someone else, but if he did not have physical access to the iLok itself, he could not take the licenses from it.

Yes, you can buy a second iLok, register it to you, and put any new licenses you purchase on it. The two iLoks will play nice together. But, your biggest problem is that you will be screwed the moment the original iLok breaks, is lost, or stolen. You will have absolutely no recourse for getting the licenses back from that iLok.

Just for giggles, exactly what licenses were on that iLok anyway?

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control