View Single Post
Old 05-13-2021, 05:41 AM

Default Beginner questions

Hi! I am sorry for asking questions that may very well have been answered before but there are some things I can't figure out by myself.

I am an experienced user of different DAW applications and I have been using Reaper extensively for the past few years. However, I've been lately introduced to Pro Tools at my job and I have a couple of questions regarding a few differences between them - mostly about the behaviour of Pro Tools. And I'm sorry to use the phrase "like in Reaper" so much

1. Crossfade between clips - If I overlap 2 clips I need to tap a key to make them crossfade. WHY? Is there an option to auto crossfade the clips?
2. While on the subject of crossfading, is there an option to edit the crossfade in a layered mode like in Reaper? Like having one clip on the top and one on the bottom.
3. Waveform recording / play size - When I record something, the waveform shows normally. When I stop the recording, the waveform get smaller but the playback is at the exact same volume. Is there any specific reason for this behaviour? Is is possible to show the same waveform as when recording (or playing - as long as they look the same)?
4. New track default settings - I'd like to create a track with default settings, like input and output, monitoring while recording etc. I have managed to create a track preset. Is this the only way or is there another?
5. Cursor following recording / play - I've found this one under options -> window scrolling but sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Do I need to have my mouse focused at something, a clip maybe?
6. Zoom in/out ratio - The ratio between the different zoom settings is too big. I would like to have a smaller ratio.
7. Link Faders - I would like to select a bunch of channels so that if I change a setting it changes to all of them simultaneously. Like in Reaper, if I select a channel and move the fader (or pan), the fader (or pan) moves on each selected channel.
8. Deselect channel - It seems that when I select a channel it becomes white but I can't deselect it/them

That's it for now. Thanks for all the responses!