View Single Post
Old 11-15-2000, 11:18 PM

Default Re: Dell Machines and 001?

I just got my 001 together with a Dell 4100 series. It is working flawlessly. This system is based on the 815e chipset.

My configuration is as follows:

Pentium III 866Mhz
256 SRAM
Nvidia G-Force with 32MB
WD 20GB 7200RPM system drive
WD 40GB 7200RPM Audio Drive
8x4x32 CDR-W
Sound Blaster Live Digital

Well, here's the catch to make it work without a glitch:

Dell loads their PCs with so much software that resources are at 85% available right after booting up. That is with all applics closed. Thats no good if you want to use the max for PT.

Also, my system came with Windows ME, so I re-formated the hard drive and installed Win98se. Now, I installed the chipset and Ultra DMA storage drivers from Intel; installed the Nvidia video card drivers and the sound blaster drivers from Creative Labs. Notice that I did not installed any Dell drivers. You can download this chipset drivers from the Intel website and likewise with the Nvidia video card.

After disabling auto-notification, screensaver, scheduling agent, adaptec cd creator, etc. my available system resources are 97% free. This system is so clean, it squeaks!.

The key to a stable and fast system is using native drivers (in this case not modified by Dell)and the amount of software that is running in the background. You'll be surprised how many programs are running in the background.

To check and see what's going on in your system, click START, RUN and type MSCONFIG and click OK. Then click on the STARTUP tab. (Do not mess around with these setting if you do not know what you're doing. You can disable your system)

Hope this info help.

Marc