View Single Post
Old 05-26-2021, 08:12 AM

Default Re: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
I have a 5950x rig. ProArt Creator b550, with HDSPe MADI in a TB/PCIe chassis (node 2 duo)- also used with Quantum.

These processors are incredible for audio, particularly for low latency audio (provided the rest of the system works properly). I can have a huge session, with a ton of VI's and track a full 16 mics on a drum set, with lots of inserts and heavy send FX like abbey road plates etc AND arm Diva and record along with the drums at the 32 sample buffer. In fact, I have never changed the buffer setting from 32.

I did have a chance to compare to M1 MBP (same interface), which is also better than intel in low latency performance, and for single core low latency (using reaper for both, only one channel loaded, FF Pro-R AS Native), the 5950x is capable of roughly double the instances as the M1. M1 capable of roughly 50% more than 7980xe- all at the 32 sample buffer. The differences between all 3 get smaller as the buffer sizes go up, but the 5950x leads all the way.

For me this is the native HDX killer. I'm finally back to that TDM workflow (arm any track at any time without thinking about latency), but without being tied to AAX-DSP plugins only (or PT only) and having that horsepower for VI's as well.
I have always read that AMD have a latency problem. I actually use a threadripper myself and can't do much under 256 samples at any workload.

Is it really true that the 5950x can run at 32 samples? Can anyone else confirm?
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme