View Single Post
Old 04-14-2021, 03:58 AM

Default Re: Using Spotify Track as Reference

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
At the risk of sounding puritanical - and I say this as someone who did a ton of home taping in the 80s, so I'm not exactly innocent in all this - can't you just pay the $0.99 for the track? I'm not sure as professionals we should be advocating ripping one another off, not on a public platform at any rate.
Agree with that but the usage i think it is made for is if there is a great drum sample or an effect that we wanna try to make our own version of etc, although never used it for downloading a whole song considering we already pay for Spotify monthly for unlimited listening and would be useless to download. Spotify and Pandora et al have offline streaming so the only way we use the app is for grabbing one shots like drums or a vocal sound to process into something new both from soundcloud and youtube and streaming services alike.

The reason I posted was to answer the OP and as said we use it to grab a sound or a sample of a kick or snare we really love and make it own or or try making a new version and use the sampled file as a reference.

And to your .99c comment, spotify is a paid app and you cant ”buy” a song for .99c from said app as Spotify and Apple Music is already paid for monthly. I really wouldn’t promote ripping songs and so on here or elsewhere. The songs are copyright anyway so ”stealf from a paid app like Spotify” would not make any sense anyway. Thought the OP wanted to find a software to ”grab” sounds like drums etc and make t their own. Not try to get free download songs as he has spotify for ex and he already pay for that. This is a whole other discussion for another day IMHO

We are a signed production team and live off music and couldn’t be more against copyrights material anyway as we lose money on that but everyone in modern pop music and DJ’s re-use drum samples, guitar and vocal samples for tweaking and so on anyway of Copyright material so as long as you dont use these apps like we did with Napster i wouldn’t think the legal owner would care or even notice if his or her kick or snare was used on another song.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————