View Single Post
Old 03-31-2021, 10:04 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2021.3 released

The Mac thing... if you buy a new Mac “today”, it’s going to come with the latest OS, and you can’t revert to an older OS than the machine shipped with.

I have always been led to believe that Pro Audio Windows users tend to “roll their own” and have greater control over which OS is installed.

So it seems that Mac OS updates end up taking precedence for that reason. I, myself, am stuck in a limbo for getting a new machine as all of the devs heave along to some new sort of interoperability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
I'll be the first to admit that Avid (and Digidesign before) definitely seems to have a Mac leaning. I was a diehard Windows guy years ago and frustrated by the Mac-centric ecosystem on the Audio/Music industry. When Apple adopted Intel processors, I decided to give a Mac a try. It cost more but things just worked without much technical effort. I'm a technical guy with decades of PC and networking experience so was not afraid of the technology, but eventually I accepted that Apple did things under the hood so I didn't have to futz with it. I'm not getting into a PC vs. Mac war here as I still use both. If it is just the for audio, I use Mac. As you've noticed, 90% of the release notes are about Big Sur compatibility while a one-liner mentions Windows 20H2. It is telling about their priorities whether I agree or not.

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro