View Single Post
Old 10-23-2021, 10:54 AM

Default Re: Trashcan MacPro, Big Sur, HDX combination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectifried View Post
There’s some users on here we’re running pretty high end systems and are sticking with Catalina
That would be my recommendation too, if you have Intel hardware. Catalina works great and everything is 64-bit, so if you keep it up to date, you are pretty much guaranteed to have very little hassle migrating to Apple Silicon when the time comes.

Apple Silicon users however have no choice. For the first generation is Big Sur or later (working very well here by the way, on a fully loaded Mac Mini) or the second generation which has delivery problems, they will come with Monterey preinstalled.

My educated guess is that The Next Place after Monterey is still third version of testing and get software ready for Apple Silicon native stuff, and whatever place they invent for 2023 is when the transition is over and with luck we also have Apple Silicon Mac Pro, however costly that is. But before that, things are still in motion.

In the previous transition from PPC to Intel, the first Intel OSX was 2006 and the first Mac Pro that was good enough was 2009 and they got the cheesegrater perfected in 2010. That is how long it takes.

Back to the point, those who bought one of the last generation Intel workstations in 2019 were very wise, because those will last through all of this transition. And when they drop support for Intel code, it is time to replace the workstation with a new one.

I have also seen the transition from 68k to PPC, but that was very painful. There is a chance this transition is faster than the previous, but I would not hold my breath.