View Single Post
Old 10-23-2021, 04:08 AM

Default Re: Trashcan MacPro, Big Sur, HDX combination

No experience there with the 2019+ releases. Only Yosemite with hd 11 using sonnet thunderbolt 2 chassis's.

If you're gonna do it, at least get another SSD and install everything on there and stress test it all with clients typical setup and templates running before handing it back over to the client.

If it doesn't work, simply insert the old SSD and you're back to where you were before.

Also you're gonna need to dismantle that Mac and completely refurb it, remove dust, re paste GPUs, cpu e.t.c., I suspect it's had a good run of being maxed out all day long.

You're also going to need a fan control programme that keeps the fans at at least 1400rpm all day long to prevent the system overheating. Think SMC fan control or macs fan control for Big Sur+

Honestly I wouldn't break a system that works perfectly fine unless there is something you really need. It's something to have a long & careful think about before doing anything.

Think about it. Tape machines never had software updates, yes they were limited in what they could do but doesn't any PT release after HD10 practically have everything you could ever need from a DAW?

Remember every O.S. & PT update requires plugin updates If they even exist, for some plugins that may not work.

One such example is: Pitch n time pro which is currently only supported up to Mojave.

Something to consider before breaking a system that works perfectly well.

Just my two cents.

Feel free to reach out if I can be of further help.

l