View Single Post
Old 11-03-2020, 09:51 AM

Default Re: Will PT Ever Come To iPad Pro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
.........more to the point, to address the original question, more broadly....
An ipad is a lousy platform for studio music making. Whilst it's pretty handy as an ideas sketch pad, think of the things that you might want or need to connect to a hardware platform for making music:-
1) audio interface
2) midi keyboard
3) control surface
4) disk for sample library
5) disk for backup
6) thumb drive for file hand-off
7) DSP for tracking/plug-ins
8) one or more large screens
Generally, it's hard to get more than one or two of these working with a single-port iPad.
Not to mention the ability to have plenty of memory for virtual instruments.
So, iPad seems like a bad choice of platform for this kind of work. I've used MTDaw, Nanostudio, Spire, Cubasis and Auria. They're all amazing and all so limited that I quickly gave up.
It's not to say that those with creativity and talent can't make great music on these devices, but I think that in most cases, it's an unnecessary series of limitations.
As an aside, every piece of music I've created on a iPad, I have now lost. I can't reload or recreate them. The hardware, iOS and software all moves on, and saving and moving the files is really hard. So it all gets lost, quite quickly.
Thank you. Solid points all around. So is Pro Tools no longer the industry standard then? Which software are people moving to the most, in your opinion? Logic Pro?