View Single Post
Old 07-04-2022, 08:11 AM

Default Clicks and co.. What's wrong?

Hello,

I'm a bit desperate..
I am working on a laptop bought 6 months ago (end of 2021), a Dell Precision, i7, 16go ram, Windows 10 pro, and this computer has a NVDIA Quattro 500 graphics card.
I use Ableton Live, which runs without any problem (the CPU overhead goes up to 70% with a 256 buffer without me hearing any click or other playback error).
For professional reasons, I had to switch to Pro Tools (one year Studio license).
I use a Focusrite 6i8 3rd generation sound card connected to USB-C.
But I've been using it for a few months now, and I've got some unwanted clicks. Even with a 20% CPU, these clicks happen quite regularly (sometimes nothing for 15 minutes, then it doesn't stop...)
I followed AVID's advice to the letter regarding the optimization of Windows 10 to use Pro Tools.
- I disabled all the so-called CPU optimization options in the BIOS (hyperthreading, voltage adjustment to save battery, etc.)
- I have disabled all the peripherals that are not useful to me, network card, etc..
- I disabled the embedded sound card directly in the BIOS
- I created a new user account in Windows (of course, this is useless)
- It goes without saying that all drivers are up to date.
- I disabled the Windows battery management

Despite this, I still get these unwanted cracks.
No matter how many times I turn the problem over, I don't understand what's wrong.
My Windows installation is clean, no suspicious programs, and as I said, Ableton runs perfectly on the same machine!
The disk usage indicator is at zero, I don't use many tracks at the same time. Some plug in (but the CPU stays under 25%)

So, if someone has a clue that I haven't explored yet, I'd be extremely grateful!

Have a nice day!
PM