View Single Post
Old 10-25-2021, 11:22 AM

Default Re: Is there a List M1 native AAX compatible Plug Ins for ProTools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
All this talk about iLok has me wondering. I don't know exactly how Rosetta2 works but it is possible to run a "native" application but authorize it with a "non-native" utility like iLok? In other words, can something running natively on the M1, M1 Pro, M1 Max processors also set data from within Rosetta2 that is running the authorization portion. Do the two platforms communicate in this way?

I suppose to take this question further, would it be possible for Protools running under Rosetta2 for now to brides over to native M1 plugins as they become available (I suspect not). On the flip side, when Avid finally releases a native version of Protools (Calm down folks. It's not out yet), will it be able to bridge across to use non-native plugins (still Intel-based)? Again I suspect not.

If not, we must wait for the entire ecosystem to be transformed into the M1 native arena before we can move to native completely. There would be no ability to do it one step at a time. Now I see why JFreak keeps reminding us how long the transition may take .
Nope. As already mentioned in the thread earlier you have parts of the pace/iLok software running in the address space of the Pro Tools. You can't translate some of the instructions and not other parts. And plugins are the same, plugins are just chunks of scary code tossed into the address space of Pro Tools. The plugins and the DAW need to be written for the same processor architecture.

This is the exact same problem facing Photoshop users where Adobe has native M1 versions of the app but not all extensions are yet ported to M1 so folks still end up having to run under Rosetta2 if they want those extensions.