View Single Post
Old 11-17-2001, 11:14 AM

Default Re: Help me spend $1,000 !!!!

My vote would be to upgrade your A/D conversion.

You have a great mic, and a useable pre already, but if you are just using the stock Digi A/D then you are cheating yourself.

My recommendation would be to go with either an RME 8 channel unit or an Apogee Rosetta (2 channel). Both units are of excellent quality and you WILL notice a difference in your recordings, especially if you are doing dense multitracking. I use the Rosetta and have found it to be excellent in all respects.

If you have your mind stuck on just upgrading your pre to something "Tubish"....

You could check out the Manley single mic pre( a long time designer of Tube equipment)

I hear good things about the Mindprint EnVoice (But have never tried one)

or you could....

Save up another few pennies and look at:

Avalon 737(includes EQ, And compressor)

D.W. Fern

Aphex 1100 (BTW, this one also has an A/D converter so you could kill 2 birds with 1 stone)

Summit Audio

Alternatively....

There are some great pre's that would work well with your setup that are not TUBE, but have a reputation for "character" and "Warmth"

Brent Averill (Neve repackage)

Vintech (Neve copy using new components based on original specs)

Great River (Neve modeled)

Crane Song Flamingo (Expensive but reputedly very very good)

Amek 9098, or Channel in a Box (again, Neve designed)

If you notice, the word "Neve" comes up a lot in the above crowd. There is a quality in those designs that has become legendary, and you wouldn't be going wrong by choosing that route, as I am sure you are aware- since you already own one of the Focusrite project series (their ISO line was Neve designed).

I am currently in the same boat as you, and have narrowed my choices down to three.....

1. The Vintech model
2. Avalon 737
3. Aphex 1100

In any case....good luck, and let us know what you decide to do.

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]