View Single Post
Old 11-26-2022, 04:12 PM

Default Re: External SSD boot drive for OS and Pro Tools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeee123 View Post
Does anyone here regularly boot off of an external drive with their Mac for day to day use and ProTools? I’m finding that I’m running out of room on a regular basis with my internal iMac 512 drive. My work drive, sample drives, backups, etc. are all on SSDs. life would probably be a lot easier installing larger plug-ins and just managing day-to-day files like my iTunes library, iMovie projects and others if my boot up drive was larger. Just curious here if anyone has any issues with doing that.
I boot a MBP from fast external SSD all the time, to work with multiple boot OS images. But especially if a laptop I'd want my primary boot drive to be internal.

You don't give much useful info for others to give you much advice. Starting with what exact mac do you have now? What drive(s)? Is the internal boot drive upgradeable?

T2 and Apple Silicon equipped Mac's complicate doing external booting, and recent macOS complicate clone Mac boot drives to an external drive, often easier to do a clean install. All that is not specific to Pro Tools and is well discussed on the interwebs.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-27-2022 at 12:15 PM.