View Single Post
Old 06-27-2022, 08:34 PM

Default Re: Where are the 3rd party plugins

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEROMEWAUK View Post
Darryl , thank you , thank you , thank you. I found the aax plugins exactly where you said on an attached back up drive. I'm over the moon man. I'm so thrilled to see these plugins that I have no idea how to point pro tools to this folder. Forgive my ignorance on this process please.
Do I need the pete gates utility to accomplish this?
Uh, be careful here. You never point Pro Tools at odd places Pro Tools are. Plugins have to be in the proper plugin directory. Don't ever try to do anything "too smart" there with symbolic links etc. you will burn yourself at some future time with problems if not with Pro Tools, with some other plugin installer having problems.

The only thing you ever put anywhere different is the large virtual instrument sample libraries.... and they are not directly installed in the plugin folder. Say if they won't fit on your boot/system drive then typically the installers for that plugin or a utility that the plugin vendor give you will help make it easy to move the sample libraries, and to tell the plugins where they got moved to.

I'm still trying to understand what you have been doing. And you want to stop doing it

Start by just restarting Pro Tools. It will automatically put back the core plugins (core are the very basic core, not the Avid Complete plugin Bundle plugins, they are all separate) into /Library/Application\ Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins and should recreate any missing folders there if it needs to. It copes those core plugins from a hidden folder in it's own application bundle to the plugin directory, and will make sure they have correct permissions and ownership etc. That also means that you have core plugins that are known to be the correct version match with your version of Pro Tools... well because they came from that version of Pro Tools.

Now you can copy from the command line or drag and drop plugins from your backup volume into the plugin folder. And as you don that don't overwrite the core plugins you put back, they are know good, and make sure plugins you copied back have the same owner and file permissions as the core plugins. Or you can just install the plugins over again... and that may not be a bad idea anyhow, especially of there is a chance you have old version of plugins installed or you've been doing whatever messing around you have been doing.

And in case it's not obvious .aaxplugin files are not really files, they are bundles, a directory structure containing binary code and other components of the plugin. If you start copying stuff around using the command line be careful what you are doing. And if needed check that ownerships of the enclosed folder and files look correct.

When doing major upgrade on macOS many of us will will reinstall all apps and plugins on clean macOS installs, it's a way if keeping installs very clean and avoiding occasional problems.