Thread: New Licensing
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2015, 04:42 PM

Default Re: New Licensing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
I just hate the whole idea.

Me too. I want to know what I am getting for my money.

I used to (naively) think that digidesign/avid gave a toss about their customers at least to some degree... but I have given up complaining about it/them now. They really don't. I just want the tools to do the job I love doing, supplied in a fair manner. If Avid does follow through with these hardline policies, I am jumping ship for my own sanity.

There was an announcement by the CEO(?) of Avid regarding the subscription model. He said something along the lines of "we haven't made up our minds about it, but we will let our customer base decide if it stays or goes". So... I am predicting we will see quite a substantial software release in the latter half of the year. A decent new feature, or potentially even PT12. It will be the proverbial carrot on the stick. Something enticing enough that a decent chunk of users leap into the $599 a year subscription model for...

Which is all well and good, but I just don't think I can swallow it. While many may justify the initial year of $599 with that new and shine feature/upgrade... what about in the years moving forward? If I had to honestly ask myself "Do I believe Avid will provide enough updates and new features year in and year out to justify the $599 each and every year?", the answer would be a blunt "No."

So unless Avid do provide some form of perpetual licensing moving forward in the future, the kind that I can choose to buy when I think it is worth it... I have pretty well made up my mind that I am sticking with my current PT license until it no longer is a feasible tool, then am moving onto something new.

If the only options presented at the end of the year are paying $599 a year or your license is frozen then my disdain for Avid will greatly outweigh my love of Protools. And I really love protools... but Avid really are trying their hardest to get "everywhere", including deeper into my pocket and kinda in the way of enjoying creating music. So, if it does indeed happen and anyone follows me out the door I will happily supply them with a banner for the studio.

It will simply say "Avid Anywhere?".

Lets get on makin' music!
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.