View Single Post
Old 08-04-2022, 11:13 PM

Default Re: Cannot update Dock Firmware

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
Avid were supplied with a batch of memory chips that were used in Docks over the past year or more. Of the Docks shipped in the past 2 years we are seeing a few with the failed chip. This is currently a small percentage. A recall wouldn't make sense and disrupt many more customers(unnecessarily), and it would delay the few users that do have the issue.
I don't understand the logic here. You're saying that you got a bad batch of chips, but a recall wouldn't make sense. Why wouldn't this make sense? You're selling a product that you know is faulty. I presume you would know exactly which units have the faulty chip installed. Wouldn't it make sense to contact dealers and say "If you have any Docks in stock with serial numbers in the range xxxxx - yyyyy, do not sell them as they are faulty. Please return to Avid"

Also, how would a recall disrupt "many more customers unnecessarily"? Those customers who got Docks without the fault are not affected. Those who, like me, purchased a brand new flashy BRICK are extremely disrupted, and out of pocket!

If you had contacted dealers and told them which serial numbers are affected, I wouldn't be wasting my time asking these questions but instead, would have a working Dock with upgraded firmware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
Again, I'm sorry this happened, we didn't do it intentionally, we didn't know they were going to fail, and have a system in place to get this sorted for anyone that experiences this.
This doesn't add up. You know which batch of chips were faulty, and you also (presumably) know which units these chips were installed into. How can you say you didn't know they would fail? Of course they will fail, because they have faulty chips in them.

It's insulting to say you didn't know they would fail. It's also laughable to say that you have a system in place to get this sorted. It should never have happened.

In the likely case there is not another working Dock in Australia, this brick I bought will need to be sent overseas for repairs of an issue that yuou knew existed but did nothing about. This will take at least a month. What a joke. This is a truly excruciating process, and I wish I'd never bought anything from Avid.