View Single Post
Old 06-27-2021, 02:42 PM

Default Re: New rig issues- 2x MTRX Studios and an HDX TB3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud View Post
Hi - like the OP I have moved over from a Logic/UAD world. Dante sounds incredible for expansion!

I have a MTRX Studio via HD TB3 box connected to my analogue console = 16 channels i/o. I record live musicians and overdub so this solution great as latency minimal; I want to connect another 8 channels of analogue i/o to use the full console. You're suggesting I should simply use a Dante AD/DA and not worry about HD connectivity via digilink? eg an Apogee Symphony with Dante card, no digilink or TB required.

Inputs into symphony get recorded into protools via Dante, and protools plays back to Symphony and Matrix, one via HD digilink, the other via Dante? Is that right?

If I do an overdub the musicians hear on their headphones (currently the cue mix from my console but via Dante in the future) with protools playing up to 23 tracks across MTRX and Symphony and I then overdub into eg Symphony on track 24?

But I hear Dante adds additional latency to HD which would make live musician overdubs more problematic?

cheers
H
Hi,

Yes, I would expand the MTRX Studio with Dante, because you can control everything for within DADMAN.

Consider the MTRX the master interface and everything else hangs off that it much in the same way that expanding a non networked interface with ADAT would work.
You are just adding IO over ethernet.

Dante latency is minimal, as low as 250 microseconds per hop.
It won't make any difference whatsoever IMHO unless you are doing something really unusual.

I have dozens of channels expanded on the full fat MTRX over Dante.
The only issue to think about IMHO is compensating for latency using hardware inserts but that is fairly easy to do.
It could be easier though, Avid.