View Single Post
Old 09-24-2022, 10:17 PM

Default Re: Using an HD Native Thunderbolt w/ the new Macs??

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
no. absolutely no. you do not want your interface to fight with mouse etc.
Bzzzzzzzt. No to your no. Nein. Non. Nej. Ei.

I can run hundreds of channels of audio over USB 3 or even USB 2 (e.g. 128x128 channel of MADI on a dinky little USB 2 bus powered RME MadiFACE) from my different RME interfaces. 32 or 64 sample size I/O buffer possible depending on what else is going on. Heck I'll run my Thunderbolt capable RME Fireface UFX+ on USB 3.x with no practical loss of low latency performance just because it's easier to deal with long USB 3 cables vs long Thunderbolt cables.

Modern systems with interfaces with a well written driver etc. have none of the USB limitations you might be thinking of with ancient old PCs and Macs and especially with crappy drivers.

And a modern computer you can run a mouse and audio interface on the same bus and it won't be a problem. But in practice, with modern USB hub and bus structures on PCs or Macs you are unlikely to actually have the devices on the same USB bus as an interface.

It's especially important that we stop perpetuating any idea that HD Native/DigiLink interfaces are inherently superior to high quality CoreAudio or ASIO interface, Thunderbolt, USB, PCIe, whatever, it does not matter as long as they are done well. The area where DigilLink is clearly differentiated is you need to use it to get HDX/DSP processing. Otherwise it's increasingly becoming more problematic and a liability for users.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 09-24-2022 at 10:48 PM.