View Single Post
Old 04-27-2022, 03:02 PM

Default Re: Moving from Mac Pro 5,1 to 7,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
A 12 core 7,1 vs a dual-processor 5,1 isn't really a boost in power (you can check the numbers.) The 5,1 dual-processors still hold their own compared to many later Mac Pros. (The other features though: noise, power consumption, heat production, faster bus speeds like thunderbolt, might be a more important concern for you.)

HDX cards work fine in the 7,1
Depending on which slots you use for the cards, you *might* need a different power cable. The top ones don't need it. The bottom ones do need it.
I have been able to put together a 6 card HDX system together in a 7,1 though (and a project used 5 of those cards for DSP)
Thank you. This is helpful as well. I haven't been updating PT due to being on High Sierra and I would like thunderbolt for transfers. I'm not sure when Avid will make use of Apple's ARM chips.

My current computer has been awesome for the most part. I was hoping for more power though. I need to look into that.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.