View Single Post
Old 06-19-2008, 01:30 AM

Default Re: Magma Chassis Decisions

I retired my G4 dual 1GHz and got a Macbook Pro. Now my HD2 PCIx cards are sitting in a Magma 4slot (pericom chipset) chassis (noisy fan for the moment). I'm running PT 7.4cs4 with Leopard 10.5.1. All runs well after upgrading all my plugins

EXCEPT

I'm stuck at 48 voice 1DSP playback engine. Attempting to change to anything else results in immediate and various crashes (depending on what I try to change it to) ranging from DAE errors and PT quitting, to the grey curtain of death. All of which require a complete re-installation of Protools.

There is another thread somewhere about a "memory issue" with the DAE... something about a .kext issue... Some have gotten around the problem - I have not been so fortunate. So far with what I'm working on I haven't needed more than 48 voices, and the portability far outweighs this little issue.

Also, I bought my chassis used on ebay for $250. I sold off a few things (192...) and bought a few things, and after all the paid upgrades, WUP etc, it ended up costing me about a grand. I sure hope this memory problem gets fixed before I get caught with my 48voice pants down